Tuesday 27th Sep 2016 - Logistics Manager

Tesco to open Erith dot-com centre in October

Tesco plans to open its new home delivery centre in Erith on 28th October and is recruiting 650 staff to work at the site.

The new Erith site is similar to Tesco’s Crawley dot-com site which opened in January which uses a high level of automation.

Products are stacked according to their popularity with customers, rather than by product type, which helps the personal shoppers work more efficiently. Trays move on conveyor belts to the personal shoppers, who can focus on product selection in their area.

Simon Belsham, managing director for grocery home shopping, dot com, said: “More and more of our customers are using their computers, tablets and smart phones to shop for groceries. This new centre will allow us to expand our reach to serve our growing online customer base and offer them the best possible service.”

Tesco now has grocery home delivery centres have in Croydon, Enfield, Crawley, Greenford and Aylesford.

* Tesco has confirmed that it is in talks to merge in operations in China with China Resources Enterprise to create a £10bn retail business. 

It said the partnership would bring together Tesco’s global retail expertise, international sourcing scale and supply chain capabilities with CRE’s understanding of local customers, and established nationwide infrastructure.

It would involve CRE combining its CR Vanguard business, which currently operates 2,986 stores across China and Hong Kong, with Tesco China’s 131 stores and shopping mall business. Tesco would have a 20 per cent stake in the joint venture while CRE, would have the other 80 per cent.