Forklift truck supplier Briggs Equipment is warning companies to prepare for cold weather.
With forecasters predicting an imminent cold spell, Briggs says companies should take another look at their winter preparedness to avoid any unnecessary downtime or expense.
“So far the winter has been relatively mild, but this is no excuse to skip on some basic measures to ensure that your fork lift trucks and other materials handling equipment continue to run smoothly in all weathers,” said engineering standards manager Dean Mansell.
* Make sure the coolant system in engine trucks has a suitable concentration of anti-freeze.
* Ensure oil and other lubricants are kept topped up to keep the truck running smoothly in the cold.
* Check that the service schedule on all trucks is up to date and carry out daily checks on significant components.
* Make sure that all outdoor areas where trucks operate are kept free of ice and snow.
* Ensure that operators know how to use the equipment safely in adverse conditions.