Asda to reduce fuel costs by 40%

LinkedIn +
[asset_ref id=”226″]

Asda is aiming to reduce its fuel costs by 40 per cent over the next four years through its sustainable transport strategy, which utilises Isotrak’s Active Transport Management System.

Douglas Gurr, strategy director at Asda, revealed that the company has already lowered its fuel costs by 23 per cent over the past three years, and plans to save a further 17 per cent, creating a total reduction of 40 per cent by 2012.

The Isotrak system enables the company to monitor individual driving styles and teaches drivers how to be more fuel-efficient.

It also helps the supermarket save additional money through improving transport efficiency by lowering the number of empty running trailers, instead using them to backhaul waste and recyclable materials between stores and distribution centres.

Asda completed the initial roll out of the system at the end of last year and has recently extended its use to its van-based Asda Home Shopping operation.

Share this story: