GLP revises plans for multi-storey warehouse in London

LinkedIn +

Developer GLP, formerly known as Gazeley, has revised its plans for its innovative multi-storey warehouse scheme in Silvertown, Newham in London.

The Greater London Authroity had raised concerns over clean air and climate change issues for the redevelopment of a six-acre plot in Peruvian Wharf, Silvertown.

The three-storey 426,000 sq ft inner city last-mile logistics hub for London, would be the first of its kind built in the UK.

In December last year the GLA stated in its commentary regarding the plans that while the “building is innovative in design and well-conceived’ and is strongly supported in line with the London Plan, draft London Plan, and the Site Allocation; it falls short in relation to the resolution of air quality issues and appropriate mitigation.

Jules Pipe Deputy Mayor for planning, regeneration and skills let it be known that she considered ‘that the application does not yet comply with the London Plan, [and]the draft London Plan’ for these reasons but goes on to say that these can be resolved.

The plans were lodged with Newham Council in July 2019 and have proved controversial with more than 500 registered objections on the planning website with more than 1,000 people having signed a petition to stop the development.

GLP has revised the plans. Gwyn Stubbings, GLP’s planning director, said: “Since submitting a planning application to Newham Council in July last year, we have made a number of significant changes following comments from the community, which further strengthens our road safety and environmental protection measures.”

In a video on its gparkdocklands website Stubbings tackled public concerns regarding HGVs head on with a transport assessment modelling report forecasting only 4% of journeys will be made by HGVs. The remaining 96% of journeys will be the onward fleet delivering goods to homes and businesses in including light goods vehicles, cargo bikes and cars. In addition the developer would be restricting HGVs from turning right onto North Woolwich Road, keeping them away from people’s homes and separating them from other vehicles, bikes and pedestrians.

There was much more emphasis put on sustainability with the developer committing to 100% staff electric car parking available on site by year five of operation with provision for 20% from day one.

The proposals will also see that the building will reduce carbon emissions by 36% in line with planning policy by using sustainable technologies such as solar panels and LED lighting and that it will achieve a BREEAM ‘excellent’ rating.

In a more progressive move the developer said it would be looking to provide the opportunity for future occupiers to utilise river freight and that it would itself would look to optimise river freight to deliover materials during construction.

GLP calculates that building the hub will create 665 construction jobs and the same number once it’s up and running.

This is the first three-storey warehouse in the UK and will utilise platforms to allow HGVs and other vehicles to access each level. Each storey will comprise 140,000 sq ft of space with 26 dock doors and 4 access doors on each level. The site will contain 350 car parking spaces and around 75,000 sq ft of ancillary office space.

The second public consultation ends on September 30.

Share this story: