Wednesday 26th Oct 2016 - Logistics Manager

M&S rejects talk of disruption at Castle Donington

Marks and Spencer has quashed suggestions on Sky News of IT glitches at its new Castle Donington distribution centre, saying that there is no danger of disrupted flows as the site is still in the initial phases of being set up.

The retailer is only four months in to an 18 month ramp up plan, and so is nowhere near operating at capacity.

M&S says it deliberately set such a long period to accommodate adaptations before going into full operation by Christmas 2014.

A spokesperson for Marks & Spencer said: “We’ve said from day one that operations at Castle Donington will build over a long period of time to protect customer service, nothing’s changed and it’s early days on site as we follow the ramp up plan.”

Sky News alleged that the company had been hit by a range of IT glitches, which prompted some M&S trading directors to express concerns about allowing their stock to flow through the new centre for fear of disrupting availability in stores.