Thursday 27th Oct 2016 - Logistics Manager

Deputy PM unveils £9m funding for Stobart project

The Mersey Multimodal Gateway project has received a £9 million boost from the government’s Regional Growth Fund. The funding for the project which is being developed by partners Stobart, Prologis and Halton Borough Council was highlighted by deputy prime minister Nick Clegg during a visit to the site.

23114 Andrew Tinkler and Nick Clegg

“For too long the UK economy has been too focused on the City of London and this has often been at the expense of places like Widnes,” said Clegg. “I want the North West to be a place where people make things again, where iconic businesses like Stobart can thrive. The Regional Growth Fund is unlocking private sector investment, with at least £5 put in for every £1 of public money.”

The three partners plan to expand the freight park and develop the site into a cutting edge logistics and distribution hub for the north of England. Workon phase two development of 3MG is expected to complete in spring 2013.

Stobart chief Andrew Tinkler, said: “The public-private partnership driving development at 3MG is a win-win all the way, for business, the region, transport infrastructure and of course the creation of thousands of jobs. Our Regional Growth Fund application has been up against stiff competition, but our track record of fast turn-around, green energy solutions, prestigious tenants, job creation and successful partnerships has secured further public purse investment in 3MG.”

3MG’s phase one development was completed last year, with the opening of a new state-of-the-art, biomass fuelled chilled Tesco distribution centre, servicing all of its stores across the North and creating 1200 jobs at the site.

Stobart Group COO, William Stobart, added: “We are looking forward to the completion of phase two, and bringing a new dawn of further jobs and new prosperity to the region.”