Welcome to the first European Supply Chain Day
It’s the first ever European Supply Chain Day – an initiative by the European Logistics Association. Activities such as school visits, tours of warehouses, opening up back offices to visitors, talks and site visits are taking place throughout Europe today – 10th April.
ELA president Jos Marinus said: “European Supply Chain Day aims to raise awareness within the broader population of the value of logistics and supply chain activities in our everyday lives.
“A main focus will be with young people as we seek to inform them of the great career opportunities that exist within our profession. This is a unique opportunity to raise the profile of our profession and I encourage all levels of participation in this new and exciting European development.”
Previously, similar individual events have been held in a number of European countries to raise awareness of the logistics profession. European Supply Chain Day will now take place on the same day across Europe.
The Chartered Institute of Logistics & Transport has been co-ordinating activities in the UK. Events include:
* Jaguar Land Rover is visiting a primary school in Leamington Spa to discuss with a group of 90 7-9 year olds the importance of the logistics industry
* Kuehne + Nagel has created a video on YouTube featuring a poem asking the question: What is Logistics? Click here to view the video
* Robert Brown Consulting Group ( RBCG) are hosting an open day at one of their warehouses and holding a discussion at their head offices in Nottingham to offer an insight into the successes and challenges of their supply chain business
* Women in Logistics will host a discussion titled ‘Female truck drivers?’ Sponsored and hosted by Meachers Global Logistics
* The CILT are hosting an event entitle: “The importance of business continuity planning: Rebuilding a supply chain at SONY DADC”. It is also holding an open day at its offices in Corby.
* Essex County Council is hosting an event for local businesses on European funding and the opportunities which arise from this in link with their ambitions to realise logistics and supply chains as growth sectors
* Transport Intelligence has been blogging about the day and featuring first-hand accounts from colleagues to highlight the different career paths and give real-life examples of the opportunities that are available within the logistics industry