Friday 24th Nov 2017 - Logistics Manager

Hornby moves to new warehouse near Canterbury

Hornby Hobbies has completed its move into a new warehouse at Hersden, near Canterbury which will be run by specialist firm, DS Logistics.

Hornby, whose brands include Scalextric, Corgi, Airfix and Humbrol as well as Hornby model rail, had outgrown its old warehouse at Margate.

Some 60 per cent of the 100,000 sq ft warehouse is fully racked and capable of holding 7,000 pallets. The remaining 40 per cent of the facility is set up as a pick pack operation that includes internet despatch and space for re-works.

There are three loading bays to ensure the smooth operation of inbound containers from the Far East and India. There is also a large yard to the back of the warehouse for container unloading to avoid road congestion into the site.

“The warehouse move was a smooth operation with virtually no disruption to customer deliveries and we are on a programme of continual improvement to continue deliver a great service. We are extremely pleased to be able to confirm that all permanent Hornby staff employed as part of the distribution warehouse team were offered a transfer to the new site,” said supply chain director Red McKay.

And Richard Ames, CEO, said: “The move enables Hornby Hobbies to improve upon turnaround times and creates an infrastructure that provides a platform for growth while improving our service to both consumers and customers. No jobs have been lost as part of the move. All the permanent Hornby staff employed as part of the distribution warehouse team were offered a transfer to DS logistics and the team are now working at the new site.”