Tuesday 17th Oct 2017 - Logistics Manager

Growing evidence that all lane running is safe

There is growing evidence that all lane running on motorways is safe, the government has told the House of Commons Transport Committee, which had called for a halt to the roll out of the scheme.

In a report published in September, the committee said: “We stand by our call for a halt in the rollout of all lane running. It seems that the Government is determined to press ahead with a move to the latest design of all lane running notwithstanding the concerns that we and others have expressed. We believe that it is therefore obliged to set out, more clearly than it has so far – (Paragraph 9)”

In its response, the government said: Notwithstanding the growing positive evidence on the safety of ALR, the Government is mindful of the concerns highlighted by the TSC. The Government is taking a close interest in the progress of the ERA design reviews and assures the TSC that continuing with delivery of current ALR schemes does not prevent the recommendations from the reviews being acted upon for current and completed ALR schemes. Therefore, the Government does not agree with the TSC’s call for a halt to the roll-out of ALR.”

The Freight Transport Association said it was pleased that its concerns had been addressed. Malcolm Bingham, head of road network management policy, said: “The Government’s evidence on schemes already built show that there is also growing positive evidence of the safety of all lane running.”